I don’t know about you but I grew up with TV. I sat in a room called the TV Room. It had a couch, pillows, blocks (that is what we used for pillows back then as kids) and a big TV in the front of the room.
My parents watched the Lawrence Welk Show
Oh yes the “Good Ol Days” as they say. But if you are under the age of 30 you may have never even heard of these shows. Thus the need for the videos above.
Now a days there are videos, games and reality shows. As well as the new one’s Pan Am, Once Upon A Time and Grimm. Plus when I was little there were 4 channels. ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS. Now, depending on the service you have, you can get anywhere from 500 to over 1000 when you start talking HD and now you can watch 3D Movies At Home. So if you are not careful you can spend all day and night watching TV.
Here are a couple of hints to turn off the TV:
- Plan it: Pick the shows you want to watch and put that on your schedule. Make sure you only watch those shows. (Channel flipping is a killer of time)
- Don’t Watch Reruns: If you’ve seen the show previously don’t sit there and watch it again. You have better things to do with your life
- Don’t Put the TV in a Prominent Position in the Room: Don’t design a room around a TV. Don’t make the TV a focal point. Put it off in the corner or up on a wall away from the center of the room. (This will help make not watching TV a more comfortable activity if you have to work to watch.)
- Plan other activities during your normal TV Watching Time: If you watch TV at night. Plan on getting your emails or social media posts done in the evening. If you watch in the afternoon decide to go on a walk instead or go to your local coffee-house and read a book.
- Health Risk: Sitting down watching lot’s of television can cause weight gain and also stress.
In order for you to “Live Life Outside the Comfort Zone” you have to “Turn Off the TV”
Here’s a little video to help you do this.
So Get Up, Get Out, and Get Moving. And TURN OFF THE TV ALREADY
Les Adkins is the CEO of Orange SMS Consulting and an International Social Media Strategist, speaker, consultant and author. Bringing strategy and whole brain thinking to creative campaigns and social media through his work. Please follow @mysylbert and connect on LinkedIn
Join us on FB as well.