So how do you Network using LinkedIn. With all the resources and tools that are available out there online how do you use them and what are some key things you need to remember when networking with LinkedIn.
First thing to remember is that you are connecting to real people. Well you are supposed to be connecting to real people. Remember the blog LIAR
Just a few things to keep in mind when connecting with someone on LinkedIn. Remember to make sure that they have a profile pic of themselves. If it is a logo or an avatar shy away from those. Also they should have a history of employment and some recommendations from legitimate people about their character or their work. Then what do you do?
Here are 5 Tips that you can use when networking online through.
- Don’t try to sell anything to someone you are connecting with for the first, third, fifth or twentieth time. Go back and look at Building Trust. Don’t provide a link to your website. (LinkedIn will not allow you to provide a link or phone # to someone you are not connected to.)
- Ask for an introduction from someone you already are connected to. You might be surprised to find out that you have a strong connection with someone who is also connected to the person you are looking to meet. (It is always better to have met the person face 2 face that you are asking to make the introduction. )
- Be Yourself! People who are your friends or become your friends usually trust you and it usually ends badly when that trust is lost. So be yourself and check out this old blog on Building Trust to Sell Stuff (In this case it is YOU that you are trying to sell,)
- Don’t connect with anyone before you know the value you might be able to bring to them or their organization. Remember it’s about “givers gain” Wikipedia describes “givers gain” as the belief that when (business) people set goals to help others and honestly work to achieve these goals, they usually gained the most out of the experience – through a reciprocal benefit.
- And Last a tactical way to Network on LinkedIn Use the advanced search on LinkedIn when looking for specific people within companies that you might be trying to get into. The advanced search is pretty user-friendly, but just in case you get confused here is a video for you to view.